Lost or Stolen Card

If your card has been lost or stolen, immediately report it (you will need to create a log-in -- click on "I'm New Here" right below the UNM ID # field). After a card has been reported lost or stolen, all financial activity will be suspended, and the card will no longer function. Unfortunately, there is no way to de-activate building access control functions online. Please call the LoboCard Office to turn off building access control. Stolen cards should also be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency.

If your active card is returned to the LoboCard Office, you will be notified at the email address listed in the UNM directory. Additional lost & found locations are University Police and the SUB information desk, the libraries Johnson Gym, etc.

Note: if you are unable to produce a valid form of identification due to theft, please visit the LoboCard Office for information on obtaining a new LoboCard.

Replacement IDs can be purchased by visiting the LoboCard Office during regular office hours. Please bring a government-issued photo ID, your UNM ID number, as well as a replacement fee.

Please be advised that in the interest of campus security, the LoboCard Office is not authorized to assign building access to your LoboCard. 

LoboCard Pricing

Initial LoboCard
Lost/Stolen Card
Damaged Card
*Current card must be turned in.
Name Changes
*Current card must be turned in.